"To promote comparable and accurate test results on the performance evaluation of technologies and methodologies to control the risk of bio-invasion and harmful species introductions by shipping, through an open exchange of information, transparency in methodologies and advancing the science of testing."
The Global TestNet was initially developed to address the need for standardization and comparability in the testing of ballast water management systems (BWMS).
The first meeting of testing organisations took place in Malmo (Sweden) in 2010 under the umbrella of GloBallast Partnership, and test facilities agreed to enter a Memorandum of Understanding in 2013 during an annual meeting in Busan (Korea). In 2016, the members voted for additional by-laws (e.g. on voting) and voted on September 8 2017 in favour of expanding the network beyond BWMS testing, and into biofouling in order to further support the shipping industry and its numerous stakeholders in managing the risk of bio-invasions and harmful species introductions into aquatic environments.
The members of Global TestNet have agreed to:
- discuss and share methodologies, analytical procedures and protocols used to support certification testing, and provide insight and lessons learned, to help improve the overall quality and efficiency of management technology testing through:
- participation in quarterly correspondence via website, email list, conference calls etc.
- participation in annual meetings (member representatives do not need to attend in person)
- build awareness of, and coordinate where appropriate with, other members’ testing activities
- work together toward consensus on standardization, to the extent possible, of test and analytical methods and approaches, to increase the comparability and accuracy of results among tests
- when possible, participate in cross-training and inter-calibration among the members to increase comparability and consistency within Global TestNet
- when appropriate, assist in vetting or validation of new testing and analytical methods
- encourage diverse inputs from scientific experts, including those outside the ballast water testing community
Ankron Water Services now a member of Global TestNet
Erik Köster, Managing Director said: “We are very happy to join the testing expert group and contribute with our experience and knowledge. I believe it is more important than ever for the industry leaders to cooperate and speak with one voice to improve testing and corresponding regulations like commissioning testing, VIDA and method validations.”
Read the full article on LinkedIn >
Thank you for Supporting the Sustainable Ocean Summit 2019
The World Ocean Council
would like to express their gratitude for Global TestNet's support of the SOS 2019
as an Event Endorser.
Global TestNet Position Statement on BWMS Commissioning
This statement is in response to stakeholders’ potential concerns raised as a result of recent closure of two test facility members of the Global TestNet.